Parklea are setting you a design challenge to research, plan and design a 2m x 2m garden. Our staff team at Parklea will choose a winner and we will build the winning design in our grounds! Other than the size, the only limit is your imagination!
This gives you the chance to learn more about plants and what grows where and think creatively about what materials you might use to create a coherent design.
Things you might want to consider….
- Who is your garden for? How will it be used? How do you want it to make you feel?
- What type of garden do you want to create?
Is it a country garden, informal, a little bit wild maybe, with lots of different colours & textures?
- Do you want to attract wildlife? How will you go about this? You may want to research what plants attract pollinators, find out more about what job they do and how they benefit the environment.
- If there is hard landscaping in your design what materials are they? Bricks, gravel, raised beds, trellis? Is it eco-friendly and uses recycled or reclaimed materials?
- What types of flowers and planting will you use? Think about colour schemes and texture. Most gardens have a mixture of evergreen and deciduous shrubs, perennials, maybe some annuals or bulbs for all year round colour. But you can choose whatever appeals to you, have fun and be creative!
We suggest you take a look at some of the links below if you need some inspiration and then make a list of all the things you like. Once you have an idea you’ll need to put your design onto paper. It’s easier if you base it on a grid that is scaled down. E.g. A garden 2m wide when transferred to paper could be 20cm (then 1cm centimetre = 10cm of garden)
We’ll need a little bit of a description to explain what you have chosen and why. Maybe give your garden a name? Then it’s up to you how you want to display it. You could write a list of plants as a “key” down the side, you could have a go at a 3D sketch to show what it would look like as if you were standing looking at it, or you could cut pictures out of magazines like a mood board . We can’t wait to see what you come up with- just let your imagination BLOOM!
Design inspiration: https://www.rhs.org.uk/garden-inspiration/design/gathering-inspiration
Plant types explained : https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/plant-types-explained/
Things to consider: https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/gardening-for-beginners-know-your-plot/
Garden style: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/design
Remember to include your name and contact details then post your entries to us or hand them in to the Parklea office before 4pm on Monday 17th August. We will share winning entries on our website and social media pages.